Inbound Integration via NetSuite Email Capture
Integration with external applications in NetSuite come in different forms – One of these hidden integration gems is the NetSuite Email Capture. It works by intercepting emails being sent into a specific NetSuite generated email address, and executes deployed NetSuite SuiteScript. Compared to other forms of integration options like Webservices, RESTLets, or Public Suitelets, NetSuite Email Capture is simple to setup and implement.
Here are some use case scenarios when to use this custom plug-in:
- External system generates CSV report of prior days’ sales that must be imported into NetSuite
- External website has an HTML form that collects new user information which ultimately needs to be pushed into NetSuite as Lead
- Sales reps need to be able to send in a list of leads in CSV format to be quickly analyzed for duplicates and automatically kick off back end sales process
Before we get started on implementation steps, here are some limitations we’ve found:
- As of NetSuite Release 2016.2, plugin scripts must be written in SuiteScript 1.0
- Email Capture will NOT trigger if the email is generated from NetSuite
- There is a usage limit similar to any other server side suite script. (Try not to go too crazy!)
Custom Script Detail
Below is sample skeleton script written in SuiteScript 1.0 to implement the Email Capture interface. NetSuite will pass in the email object as the parameter by default. The sample script below includes all methods provided within the email object that developers can use.
NetSuite Email Capture Setup
- Make sure you have Server SuiteScript feature enabled on your NetSuite Account
- Navigate to create new Email Plug-In Script
- Upload or select your newly created NetSuite Email Capture script and select Email
- Provide detailed meta data about this email capture plugin
- Activate newly created Email Capture plugin and test out sending in emails to newly created email address
Once this is set up, each time an external source, automated program, or user sends an email to a NetSuite generated email capture email address, NetSuite will execute the core of the email capture SuiteScript.
We’ve implemented different permutations of this NetSuite Email Capture integration for unique business requirements.
If you have a need for this type of integration, please feel free to contact us!